Monday, April 28, 2014

WEEK #58

Friends and Family,

I hope you all have a wonderful week! This week was pretty normal for us, nothing too exciting. We dropped several of our investigators because they weren't progressing and weren't showing any effort to do anything. So this week we will be in finding mode, making lots of street contacts and finding people to teach.

Today I received news that my cousin passed away from Cancer, which makes me realize just how grateful I am for the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and how fortunate we are to know that we will be able to see and live with our loved ones again after this life. I am so grateful for my knowledge of the plan of Salvation and that our families will be together forever.

It is the birthday of my Dad tomorrow, just wanted to wish him happy birthday. He is my best friend and I love him very much. I hope he will be able to get out and play some golf this week! :)

Last Monday we had family home evening at a members house, but we had it in English! All of the Elders serving in 3rd ward are Americans, and the couple we had the family home evening with speak English very well, so it was a lot of fun. We watched 17 Miracles, which I had never seen before, and then afterwards had hot dogs. It was a lot harder to speak English than we expected, we kept mixing words and were using Portuguese grammar to structure our sentences, it was pretty funny haha. But it was really cool.

We found and taught a new investigator named Roseline, we taught her two lessons this week. She is 68 and is super nice, the only thing is is she doesn't know how to read, and she doesn't know how to stop talking haha so it is really hard to teach her. But she was involved in Macumba in the past, which is some weird religion that like invites spirits and stuff, and she said that ever since then she has been sick and her vision in her eyes has started to fail. But we have been trying to figure out where she is at spiritually and just what she believes in exactly, because she mentioned several times that she has had revelations from God and that she talks to Angel Gabriel through a glass of water that she keeps in her pantry. She shows sincere interest in the learning so we will pass for the house of her again this week to see if she still has interest and will progress or not.

We have been working with a lot of members and less actives lately, we are trying to get referrals from the members, because member referrals are much more effective than tracting and making contacts. But we are really trying to strengthen our relationships with the members here, because when missionaries and members are united, amazing things start happening :)

We have a bit of a rat problem in our house! I had an encounter with a rat that was in my suitcase, that little devil! So a little while ago I received a package with some food, and I was guarding the food in my suitcase. All of our suitcases and clothes are on the floor and stuff, because we don't have a dresser, so we have to keep our clothes in or on top of the suitcases for the current time. Anyways, all of our suitcases are in this room in our house that has peeling pink paint and has really bad lighting, so the room is just creepy altogether. We call it A Quarta do Inimigo, which means the room of the enemy. Several times throughout the week I turned on the light and rats run out the door or run out from under boxes and stuff when we move things, and I noticed there was some rat poop in one of my suitcases so I decided I better clean it out. Come to find out, there was rat poop in ALL of my suitcases and our clothes hampers, which means the rats have been snooping around a ton! haha. So i was cleaning out one of my suitcases, and as I was pulling out some clothes a rat fell out onto my lap!!!! It didn't register for a few seconds what happened, but then I flipped out and the rat ran into the main room into Elder Ellis belongings. But it was so gross haha I just took a shower after. We are going to be buying some rat poison so we can get rid of them, we don't want them in our house anymore.

Elder Ellis purchased a hammock, and I'm super jealous and want one because our beds are like rocks, so I think i might be buying one this week. The only thing we will need after is a beach and some ukeleles! haha just kidding. But it is nice to sit in the hammock on pdays and when we get back at night. This morning the zone played water balloon volleyball, it was a lot of fun, we had a tournament and me and Elder Ellis were the champions! It was pretty sweet. Then afterwards it just turned into a big water fight, not too surprising when you have a group of twenty year olds with a bunch of water balloons. Normally our pdays consist of buying groceries and stuff, and then just playing Truco, a super fun card game here in Brazil.

Anyways, this is the last week of the transfer, so we will be working hard to finish strong and find some more investigators so that the next transfer the area will have a good start as far as the teaching pool goes. 

I hope you all have a great week, I love and miss you all!,

Abraço,
Elder Kyle Payne


No comments:

Post a Comment